[Histonet] Qualifications to run a Thin Prep 2000?

Feher, Stephen sfeher <@t> CMC-NH.ORG
Fri Nov 5 10:45:34 CDT 2010

The distinction between the physical actions required to process a
specimen using the T-2000 need to be viewed in conjunction with the
overall task involved in processing gyn and non-gyn cytology.  While
there are no specific qualifications dictated by CAP for this task, we
include it as just one part of the overall expected competencies
expected for techs processing cytology specimens.  ASCT has a good basic
instructional program that can be purchased on their website
(http://www.asct.com/) that will set some training guidelines and give
you a basis for establishing the competencies you want you prep techs to
maintain.  There is so much more involved than just placing a filter and
pouring a vial when it comes to non-gyn cytology.

We have established a position that we call Pathology Technician for our
techs that process cytology, help with autopsy, and in assist our
histotechs.

Steve