[Histonet] RE: alcoholic formalin

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Thu Nov 4 15:05:37 CDT 2010

Can you get the client to use 10% NBF? That would be the first thing I'd do. If not, I'd soak blocks. One thing you can do is throw it in your water bath for a few seconds - then put on ice. The warm water seems to work really well especially on bloody tissue. j

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Laurie Elmgren
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 15:24
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] alcoholic formalin

I have a client that uses alcoholic formalin as a primary fixative for small endometrial and cervical biopsies.

What can I do to keep the cells from looking like raisins? We presently run these biopsies on a conventional processor with a short biopsy schedule.

Laurie Elmgren

Histology Supervisor

Sunrise Medical Labs

240 Motor Pkwy

Hauppauge, NY 11788

(631)435-1515x1108

"This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it."

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.