[Histonet] weekend fixation

sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com
Fri May 21 08:56:25 CDT 2010

   This  may  be true today, but I heard CAP was going to set this int   stone in the next couple of months?

   Sarah Goebel, B.A., HT (ASCP)<
   Histotechnician

   XBiotech USA Inc.

   <
   8201
   Austin, Texas  78744<
   (512)386-5107

   -------- Original Message --------
   Subject: RE: [Histonet] weekend fixation
   From: "Richard Cartun" <[1]rcartun@   Date: Thu, May 20, 2010 8:07 pm
   To: <[2]LINDA.MARGRAF <@t> childr   <[4]sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com>
   Cc: <[5]histonet <@t> lists   Dear Colleagues:

   Please    keep   in   mind   that   "recommendations",  not mandates.  You can   establish  your own formalin-fixation p   At  Hartford  Hospital  I have established   needle  core  specimens.   This  includes  0.5    fixation  and  4  hours of fixation on our tissue proces   use  the  6  hour minimum for all excisional specimens.    MAXIMUM  FIXATION  TIME.   I  can show you a   immunoreactivity  and  gene  amplification  on breast    that  have  been  fixed for 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, and l   you  don't  agree with the guidelines, work with your patholo   and  establish  your  own  fixation  policy.   And,  please remember,   fixation time is only one piece to the puzzle.  In my experience, min   imizing  ischemic  time,  making sure that the tissue does not dry out
   prior  t   more impo
   Richard
   <   Director, Histology    Director, Biospecimens
   Assistant Director, Anat   Hartford Hospital
   80 Seymour Street
   Hartford, CT 06   (860) 545-1596
   (860) 545-0174 Fax