[Histonet] weekend fixation

LINDA MARGRAF LINDA.MARGRAF <@t> childrens.com
Thu May 20 14:04:15 CDT 2010

 Histonetters:
Here's a message I was asked to post......

Dear Colleagues,
 I  have the following question concerning tissue processing. We do a lot of IHC work on NF fixed tissue. To standardize and minimize the effect of NF fixation, we fixate the tissue always for 24h. This is of course a problem for tissues taken on Friday. In the past, we asked our technicians to come on Saturday to embed the tissues in paraffin. Unfortunately, this is not possible anymore, and that is why I need your advice. What would you suggest ? 1) to leave the tissue in NF until Sunday evening and start processing, or 2) to keep the fixation time (24 hours) and leave the tissue in alcohol 70% until Sunday evening and then start processing.
 Thanks for your advice.
Kind regards,
Wim.

Prof. dr. Wim Van den Broeck, DVM, MSc, PhD
Cell biology and Histology
Department of Morphology - Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Ghent University
Salisburylaan 133, B-9820 Merelbeke, BELGIUM

This e-mail, facsimile, or letter and any files or attachments transmitted with it contains
information that is confidential and privileged. This information is intended only for the
use of the individual(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are the intended
recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing, or use of this information is
strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of federal or state law and regulations. If you
have received this information in error, please notify Children's Medical Center Dallas
immediately at 214-456-4444 or via e-mail at privacy <@t> childrens.com. Children's Medical
Center Dallas and its affiliates hereby claim all applicable privileges related to this
information.