[Histonet] large fibrous bone tissue part 2

louise renton louise.renton <@t> gmail.com
Wed May 19 02:18:58 CDT 2010

Dear Cornelia & Jack

i disagree about the soaking as this will negate the chilling  effect of the
freezer. The whole idea is to have the block as cold as possible to get
maximum support from the wax*. If the tissue has been processed and
fixed properly, there should not be a necessity for "rehydrating" on water

One thing i forgot to mention wasthat when you embed, try to orientate the
tissue so that the long axis (if there is one) lies in the same direction as
the cutting stroke. when embedding, orientate the tissue at a slight
diagonal, so that the knife dous not continously pass through the tissue on
the cutting stroke - (this works well for skins also, except make sure the
dermis is away from the knife) If this doesn't make sense, let me know and i
will send a graphic privately

*ease of sectioning relies on the embedding material being as close to the
density/stiffness of the tissue being embedded. Thats why you can section
undecal bone in resin....

best regards