[Histonet] DiD retrograde tracing study. Vibratome or cryostat

Nicole Cosenza ncosenza <@t> siumed.edu
Fri May 7 12:27:29 CDT 2010

We are beginning a retrograde tracing study in rats. We injected DiD
into the rats and in 4 weeks we will perfuse and harvest the brainstems.
My question is, is vibratome sectioning better than cryostat sectioning?
The literature that accompanied the dye said either is an option, but
some have noted dye leaching out when cyrostat sectioned. How common is
this problem?  If vibratome is the better choice, is there a good
embedding protocol?

Nicole
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine