[Histonet] Responses to IHC CAP Validation question

tonia.richmond <@t> gracepathology.com tonia.richmond <@t> gracepathology.com
Thu May 6 10:27:50 CDT 2010

   If  you  are a brand new lab, how do you validate IHC if you are no   yet  receiving patient specimens?  Can the validation be done on cont   rol tissues only?

   Sincerely,

   Tonia Richmond, AS, HT (ASCP)
   Chief Operations Officer    Grace Pathology
   PH:  (501) 765-7367
   Email:

   -----histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu wrote: -----
   <
     To:        "thisisann@     "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <     ;histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
     From: "McMahon, Loralee A" <Lo     Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.u     Date: 04/28/2010 02:01PM
     Subject: RE: [Histonet] Re     Any  inspection  that  I have under     case  rule.   Except  for  the Er/Pr//Her-2     cases.   We  also  use  a  TMA to make our live     contains known positives and known negatives.
     I     cases  i     markers  (SV-     in  a slide that w     then you can say it has spe     Any  inspector that I have come across is usually understanding     this.  But I am sure that there are exceptions to this.........esp     ecially if they are not familiar with immunohistochemistry.
     Loralee McMahon, HTL (ASCP)
     Immunohistochemistry Supervisor
     Strong M     Department of Surgical Pathology
     (585) 275-7210
          ______________________     5F__     From:          histonet-bounces <@t> lis     [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]     On    Behalf     thisisann <@t> aol.com [thisisann <@t> aol.com]
     Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 201     To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
     Subject: [Histonet] R     The following is one respone     1.   I  asked  CAP  who told me that they do not currentl     guideline on
     validating but that they
     recommend what is in t     Quality  Management  In  Anatomic  Pathology,  Promoting  P     Safety
     Through Systems Improvement and Error
     by Raouf E. Nakhl     sold by CAP !
     Chapter 8-     That is what we follow.
     I. Get a new antib     II.  Once  optimized  you  n     positive
     (how many?)
     "a suffien     III. Must also be run on cases expected to be negative. (how     IV.  In a situation where you cannot expect a lot of cases or such     a
     case has
     never been presented in your lab, then you must say just      (ex. some of the hormones we just use a pituitary)