[Histonet] H & E QC

Malika Benatti malbenatti <@t> googlemail.com
Thu Mar 25 06:15:58 CDT 2010

Hi there,

HE QC should be carry out on every slides that are stained, if you are checking for the staining intensity, this will be carried out using a control slide on new batch of staining solution, commercial or house made. Batch number should be recorded, and slides labelled with batch reference, date and file accordingly, the same goes for daily QC of routine work. Prior each morning run a control slide is run QC.

HE QC goes beyond staining intensity, as a number of artefacts can be introduced and HE unacceptable ( Shatters, creases, folds, scores, sections cut too thick, scams  ... to name fews ) and therefore each slides stained should be QC by experience Staff prior been sent out to pathologist, this QC should be recorded and audited on a regular basis.

Furthermore over here in the UK every laboratory belong to the UK-NEQAS http://www.ukneqas.org.uk/  and external body that run a number of EQA Schemes for histopathology.

For HE EQA for each run the NEQAS will ask to select slides a number of HE slides that were produce at a randomly selected date. Slide will then be send externally and score by external accessor, and benchmark against all the participant in the scheme. If more score too low, lab will be flag and investigated.

For those of you in the US, I would be curious to know if you have a similar system, and how they work.

Cheers,

Malika