[Histonet] number of slides

hymclab hymclab.hymclab <@t> ministryhealth.org
Wed Mar 24 15:19:42 CDT 2010

We follow the same practice as Susan.  Our Pathologists would rather have more than less!!!

Dawn

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sue
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:08 PM
To: anita dudley
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] number of slides

We do three levels on all diagnostic biopsies. Liver and Kidney also get upfront special stains, as do gastric biopsies (h pylori) We did cut down on extra unstained slides since we were discarding most of them. As far as stopping levels, my pathologist thinks it goes against standard of care. As for prostate biopsies, they are so small any more, that we are thinking o cutting 4 slides staining 1and 4 for H&E and holding 2 and 3 for possible IHC. We are finding that when we have to go back there is minimal tumor for IHC demonstration.

Susan T. Paturzo
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital