[Histonet] Contamination..processor?

Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org
Wed Mar 24 12:00:34 CDT 2010

You are definite that the cells are in the block? If so I would change all
the paraffins out as well, even the paraffin on your embedding center.

Kim Donadio
Pathology Supervisor
Baptist Hospital
1000 W Moreno St.
Pensacola FL 32501
Phone (850) 469-7718
Fax (850) 434-4996

tigger13b <@t> aol.com
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
03/24/2010 11:40 AM

histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
cc

Subject
[Histonet] Contamination..processor?

Hello everyone.

     Today we have a problem with contamination.  The pathologist notes
cells from tonsil specimens here and there on our GI biopsy slides.  The
cells are in the block.  I'm trying to ascertain the source of the
contamination.
     The grossing pathologist grossed the tonsils AFTER all GI specimens
yesterday (not source of contaminant).  We (the techs) embedded all GI
specimens first, trimmed, cut, floated and stained ALL GI specimens BEFORE
the tonsils (not source of contaminant).  The only other source of the
contamination I can think of is from the tissue processor.  We have a
Tissue Tek VIP closed processor.  Has anyone ever experienced any problems
like this?  We had a similar issue a few weeks ago.  I thought the
contaminant cells may be from a bladder tumor, which had multiple sections
submitted.  In this instance the cells showed up days work of the bladder
tumor, and in the following days work also (though the pathologists could
not say for sure the cells were from the bladder case).  We changed our
formalin solutions in the processor and the problem did not present the
next day.  We also started putting all bladder tumor specimens in the
microcassettes, to prevent tissue from escaping.  Has anyone had any
problem like this, or does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this in
the future?  We had not seen this problem until these past two incidences,
and this tonsil problem is particularly strange to me because we process
tonsils and GI specimens in the same workload on a regular basis and have
never had this issue before.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Brandi

All electronic data transmissions originating from or sent to
Baptist Health Care Corporation (BHC) are subject to monitoring.
This message along with any attached data, are the confidential and
proprietary communications of BHC and are intended to be received
only by the individual or individuals to whom the message has been
addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, please take notice that any use, copying, printing,
forwarding or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited and may violate State or Federal Law. If you
have received this transmission in error, please delete or destroy
all copies of this message.  For questions, contact the BHC Privacy
Officer at (850) 434-4472.  Rev.10/07.