[Histonet] Staining hydroxyapatite scaffolds

Jesus Hernandez jesus.w.hdz <@t> gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 15:19:59 CDT 2010

Yea I wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with staining hydroxyapatite
bone substitute scaffolds that have been placed inside rabbits. I have been
having issues with the staining. I am not sure if the sample thickness has
anything to do with why I keep getting blotches of dark staining. It appears
to only be a problem with the paragon stain.  I wanted to know if anyone
knows of maybe a different type of staining that I should use to help avoid
getting these blotches. I feel that the scaffold material is causing this
issue so it might ultimately be unavoidable, but the reason I ask for a way
to make my slides looks cleaner is because I do histomorphometry on the
samples. The only two stains that I use are Paragon & Alazarin Red. I need
to have tissue and bone distinguishable for my analysis. The scaffold
usually absorbs both colors making it a dark black image on the microscope.
Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JH