[Histonet] Block patient IDs

Houston, Ronald Ronald.Houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org
Fri Mar 12 10:47:24 CST 2010

I believe you are correct Bonnie. My understanding is that the 2 patient
identifier regulation came originally from JCAHO and only refers to the
specimen identification as it comes to the lab, and during accessioning,
but not during subsequent processing, staining etc.

Mind you, I'm willing to put money on it that it is just a matter of
time before that changes. I would imagine once a few more companies
perfect their specimen tracking systems that CAP will mandate two
patient identifiers throughout the process of specimen reception to
filing.

Ronnie Houston
Anatomic Pathology Manager
Nationwide Children's Hospital
Columbus OH 43205
(614) 722 5450

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Whitaker, Bonnie
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:35 AM
To: Terri Brown; Nails, Felton; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Block patient IDs

Hi Everyone,

Maybe there is something new, but we had our inspection last week, and
the
customized checklist used for our inspection does not require 2
identifiers.
It states:

NOTE: An unambiguous system of specimen identification coupled with a
legible, sequential cassette
and slide labeling system that withstands reagents and stains are
essential
to fulfill this requirement. The
number of blocks processed and the number of slides prepared for each
case
must be recorded.

ANP.21100 Phase II N/A YES NO
Are blocks identified adequately?

NOTE: Each block of tissue must be identified by the entire accession
number
assigned to the case and
by any descriptive letter(s)/number(s) added by the prosector during the
dissection. If additional blocks
are prepared later, all lists and logs must reflect these additions.
Identification number and
letter(s)/numbers(s) must be affixed to all blocks in a manner that
remains
legible.

ANP.21150 Phase II N/A YES NO
Are slides identified permanently with adequate, legible information?

NOTE: Each slide must be identified by the entire accession number and
descriptive letters unique to the
block from which it is cut. Other appropriate identifiers should be
included
as applicable (e.g., levels of
sectioning). Automated prelabeling systems are acceptable. Regardless of
whether the identifying
information is on the slide or on a label, the information must be
indelible,
legible and able to withstand
all stages of processing and conditions of storage.

The laboratory director is responsible for ensuring that slides are
adequately, permanently identified.

I don't know if that helps, but these were copied and pasted directly
from
the checklist.

Bonnie Whitaker
Clinical Histology Manager