[Histonet] Re: Formalin vs alcoholic formalin

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 15:20:03 CST 2010

William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC, Lead Histologist, Good
Samaritan Hospital, Kearney, Nebraska asks:

>>Help! I think I know the answer, but need some rapid clarification. Is an alcohol-formalin fixative acceptable for use in breast tissue, or does it need to be an aqueous 10% NBF?<<

According to the FDA, the required fixation for the HER2 immunostain
on breast tissue is neutral buffered formalin - accept no substitutes!

I agree with them.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN