[Histonet] Microwave processing and IHCs

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 08:03:58 CST 2010

Michelle:
The key in MW tissue processing is to accelerate the process and it is very likely that the quality of the tissues will be the same as if processed in a more "traditional" way, at least that is the claim and the objective.
Having said that this does not mean that you don't have to demonstrate it with a validation process.
You should always have controls processed in the very same way as the patients' tissues so in theory you have to obtain a new set of controls processed with the your MW tissue processor.
The complication develops if you have also a "conventional" tissue processor and then you will need two sets of controls.
Ideally all your cases should be processed with a single method.
René J.

--- On Mon, 3/1/10, Green JumpyOne <greenjumpyone <@t> hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Green JumpyOne <greenjumpyone <@t> hotmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Microwave processing and IHCs
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 8:15 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with using microwave tissue processing and then performing IHC stains on those same tissues?

We have new microwave processors and are trying to determine if we will need to get all new controls for our IHCs that have been microwave processed.  If yes, we will need to do validations on the controls, but I am wondering if the MW will have any discernible effect on the reactivity of the tissue.

thanks for any help!

Michelle