[Histonet] Tissue Processors

Tapper, Sheila J. STapper <@t> smdc.org
Wed Jun 30 15:09:37 CDT 2010

I have had a different experience with the Peloris processors.

Please note Pat's warning to keep a service contract on the instrument.
It is essential.

We have had a single Peloris processor in our department more than 2
years.  The original processor was replaced by a different unit after we
had significant trouble with it.  The second instrument is showing the
same problems as the first.  Just to be clear, we use their paraffin,
their cassettes, and the usual alcohol and xylene - nothing exotic.
WHEN the processor works, it does a beautiful job.  However, we have had
more that one occasion where the processing cycle has completed with no
error codes, and the tissue is totally unprocessed.  It is as if the
tissue went from formalin to wax.  The root cause...could not be
determined.

Processing problems, compounded with slow service response has left us
twice with down times in excess of 5 working days.  Leica has to their
credit been working hard to prevent this from happening, but when you
have a processor that has a reliability rate of 85%...there are issues.
We were told that we would be receiving a stronger motor to prevent the
plethora of rotary valve errors that we experience, but that has been
delayed.    We live with fluctuating volumes of solution.  It appears to
be a system problem.   We thankfully have our Sakura VIP for backup -
but the capacity is not sufficient for us to use as a replacement
processor.

My experience with processors was almost exclusively Sakura VIP models
for the past 20 years.  In that time, it was a rare occurrence for us to
call for service.  The transition from a reliable workhorse to a
temperamental instrument has been difficult, and an experience I will
not repeat.

Sheila Tapper

This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. As required by federal and state laws, you need to hold this information as privileged and confidential. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments.