[Histonet] H&E slide cost

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 13:09:43 CDT 2010

I agree w/ Cheryl, there are many variables to consider and there is no "standard" cost for an H&E because we, Histotechnology, do not have a standardized process for H&E. The calculation requires precise data and will often be higher than you anticipate. I find that most labs, and the vendors, do not account for the total cost. My cost calculation is as follows:

(Materials/Reagents + Instrumentation + Labor + Company Allocation) / Unit (i.e. Case/Specimen/Cassette/Slide/Stain) = Cost

You will need assistance from your Finance department to acquire many of the costs associated with your instruments, labor and especially the allocation back to your department for shared services.

I also feel that Cheryl's cost per slide is definitely in the ballpark. I have worked at labs, small to very large, and the cost per slide ranges in the $8.00 - $10.00 / slide, when all department expenses are accounted and the proper allocation of technical time is applied.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)