[Histonet] H&E slide cost

Cheri Miller cmiller <@t> physlab.com
Wed Jun 30 11:51:13 CDT 2010

There are so many variables, it all depends on your operating costs i.e. Labor, reagents, maintenance contracts and capitol equipment if applicable. I just completed my cost analysis today and it costs my department approximately $8.15 to produce 1 H&E slide, $2.55 each Special and $38.71 for each IHC Antibody.

Cheryl A. Miller HT(ASAP)cm
Histology/Cytology Prep Supervisor
Physicians Laboratory Services
Omaha, NE. 402 731 4145 ext. 554
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Cartun
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:43 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] H&E slide cost

I apologize for asking this question since I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I need an answer ASAP.  How much does it cost to produce an H&E-stained slide from formalin-fixed tissue?  We want to give this figure to our new residents and fellows who start tomorrow in order to show them how much it costs the laboratory to produce the tissue that they submit.  Thanks!

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102