[Histonet] parasites in stool

Katelin Lester histology <@t> medsurgpath.com
Thu Jun 24 13:30:39 CDT 2010

Hi all,
I have received some parasitic stool samples, one fixed in formalin, the
other in PVU. My tasks are:
1) to try to remove as much debris from the stool sample as possible while
keeping the parasites intact (I need to try to filter it without harming
the very fragile organisms)
2) once I am able to separate the organisms, I need to stain them. We have
tried using a Gram stain and it does not work, we are thinking we should
try a Giemsa and an H&E.
If anyone has ever worked with anything similar, I would really appreciate
some feedback, suggestions, advice with how to filter these samples and
stain them.
Regards,
Katelin Lester, HTL(ASCP)
MedSurg Pathology Associates, Inc.