[Histonet] RE: X-gal staining troubleshooting

Collette, Nicole M. collette2 <@t> llnl.gov
Wed Jun 23 20:11:33 CDT 2010

Hi, Teri,

I have seen it in some of my stains, but they were always in embryos of mice from a particular strain (that we did not generate and have incomplete construct information for). I always attributed it to a different LacZ allele, as I have stained litters of a different strain side-by-side with the same reagents on the same day and got the expected blue stain, but it may be something else... If you find out, I'd like to know, too.

Sincerely,
Nicole Collette
LLNL/ UC Berkeley

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Johnson, Teri
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:03 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] X-gal staining troubleshooting

Hi all,

I have a question about whole mount x-gal staining. Do any of you have experience with your samples turning brown after incubation with the x-gal?  If yes, do you know what causes this and how to keep it from happening?

Thanks in advance,

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director, Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research