[Histonet] Re: Autofluorescence in murine white adipose tissue cryosections

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> stowers.org
Tue Jun 22 14:52:37 CDT 2010

Dear Frank,

Good luck with ridding your samples of autofluorescence. Fat is always very brightly fluorescent and I suspect it might even be so without any aldehyde fixation. First I wondered how successful you'd be using Sudan Black B, knowing it is a fat stain, and knowing that it's been published for this purpose. So you might try just that and see how that works. In addition you could try using a combination of UV irradiation and the Sudan Black B and see if the combination works for you. They use paraffin sections in this reference, but it might work as well with cryosections. http://www.microscopyu.com/references/pdfs/Viegas_etal_Eur_J_Histochem-51-59-2007.pdf

Good luck, and do report back if you find a solution to this dilemma!

Best wishes,
Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director, Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research