[Histonet] how to prevent foldings on femoral head cartilage tissue

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Jun 17 13:16:49 CDT 2010

Reuel,

Do the opposite and turn up the temp on the waterbath and let the section float out a little before the wax starts to break up. You can even gently use the forcepts to tease out any folds and this will definitely help to release any wrinkles in the cartilage. Then, make sure the section is free of large droplets of water before transfer of the slide to the slide warmer. Next, let slide sit on slide warmer until the wax is melted and then bake the section for a few minutes at a higher temperature to firmly secure the section to the glass slide. Bob Skinner at UAMS showed me this technique at the beginning of the year and it works nicely, especially for even larger human femoral heads!

Jack