[Histonet] Re: Non-Glyoxal based formalin substitutes

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> stowers.org
Wed Jun 16 16:24:36 CDT 2010

Jeffrey,

I can't speak directly to the question of other formalin free substitutes that might work for your situation with the inflammatory skin cases. All I would know to tell you is try an alcohol fixative. It's going to change the look of all the cells, and how they stain, and that might cause other issues. It would almost definitely impact any immunohistochemistry you might have to do.

What I did think of is this, even though the glyoxal lyses erythrocytes, you still see their ghosts. So you know they're there. Is that not good enough?

As for the eosinophils, have you tried or thought about another type of stain to demonstrate those? Would the Luna method work (Weigert's iron hematoxylin/biebrich scarlet)? What about mordanting or post-fixing the slide prior to doing an H&E? Maybe in Bouins or 10% NBF? Do you think it's beyond detection at this point?

Just some random thoughts, probably worth about what you paid for them.

Good luck!

Teri
Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director, Histology Facility