[Histonet] RE: NY licensing

McMahon, Loralee A Loralee_Mcmahon <@t> URMC.Rochester.edu
Wed Jun 16 08:11:00 CDT 2010

They used to have grandfathering for technicians that we trained and worked in other labs.  I believe that they have discontinued this.   Your best bet is to call them directly and get some guidance. The website is http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/clt/clpbroch.htm
I believe that you'll still have to take the exam, but I could be wrong.

It is a very long and confusing process.  Good luck.  They really aren't sure what they are doing either.

Loralee McMahon, HTL (ASCP)
Immunohistochemistry Supervisor
Strong Memorial Hospital
Department of Surgical Pathology
(585) 275-7210
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer Campbell [jcampbell <@t> vdxpathology.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:16 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] NY licensing

I'm looking into requirements for getting licensed as a histotech in NY and I am a little unsure of whether my educational experience will be considered a substantial equivalent to their requirements.  They require education from a Histology program or something equivalent.  I graduated from a 4 year university (UC Davis) with a B.S. in Animal Science (includes all science courses--biology, chem, organic chemistry, physics, anatomy etc) but I never specifically took a class on histology and its techniques used in the lab.  Do you still think they will consider me eligible or would they require me to complete a histology program?  I have yet to find the chance to call them since they close at 4:45 ET and I am on the west coast.

Thanks in advance,
Jennifer Campbell