[Histonet] Re: Leica Paraplast

Debbie Dreesen ddreesen <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 8 17:49:20 CDT 2010

Hi Becky,
There were several posts between March 23-31 addressing the quality of the Paraplast if you want to check them out. We tried trouble-shooting everything we could think of when we noticed a change in the paraffin. The texture was very different and it was so sticky our sections stuck to the blade no matter how we tried to fix the problem. It was gritty and caused nicks in the blade after just a few sections. We tried several different blades to make sure it wasn't a problem there or a bad batch. Different brands as well as both low and high profile. We tried the different blades and settings because we had just replaced all our microtomes and thought maybe we just needed to make some adjustments but we experienced the same problem with each blade at every setting we tried and concluded the paraffin was the problem. The issues were resolved after we switched back to ordering the EM-400 from Cardinal.

Debbie Dreesen, HT(ASCP)

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:20:37 -0500
From: "Rebecca Johnson" <raj <@t> bluemarble.net>
Subject: [Histonet] Paraplast
To: "histonet" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

What paraffin is everyone using. We have been a Paraplast user made by
McCormick.  We have noticed black to gray small dusty particles in the
embedding well. I have tried a couple others, but the ribbons compress.  I
have tried the a different angle at 3 with no difference.  I would
appreciate some help from all of you.
Thanks
Becky