[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 80, Issue 33

Joanne Clark jclark <@t> pcnm.com
Wed Jul 28 13:34:49 CDT 2010

We use a similar product called Dissect Aid, from Decal Corp.  IHC staining has never been an issue; we never run IHC on the lymph nodes from colon cancer cases.  We usually do the IHC on the tumor itself which is fixed in formalin.  This kind of product is very useful in helping to find all those pesky little nodes that like to hide in the fat by turning them white.  Cancer protocols require that at least 13 nodes be submitted.  As histo supervisor, I also do the grossing in my facility, so I understand why your PA is interested in this kind of product (it can be difficult to come up with this magic number of 13 without it).  However, if you do run IHC on the nodes from these cases, you would indeed have to revalidate your markers with this as your primary fixative or as a post fixative.

Joanne Clark, HT, MLT
Histology Supervisor
Pathology Consultants of New Mexico
Roswell, NM

-----------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:03:33 -0300
From: "Hayes, Randi (HorizonNB)" <Randi.Hayes <@t> horizonnb.ca>
Subject: [Histonet] Using GEWF solution and IHC staining
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

At a recent conference, our PA learned of using GEWF (glacial acetic acid, ethanol, distilled water, 40% formaldehyde) solution as an aid for Lymph Node retrieval in Colorectal Cancer resections.  Although a good idea, I'm wondering how "safe" it is to use when staining for IHC.  Does anyone have much experience with this or know of a study (studies) that have been done to verify that the ethanol is not destroying antigen sites?  We're a little concerned......

Randi Hayes, MLT
Histology Supervisor / Superviseur d'Histologie
Horizon Health Network / Réseau de santé Horizon
(506) 860-2157
randi.hayes <@t> HorizonNB.ca <http://www.me.com/mail/>
www.HorizonNB.ca <http://www.horizonnb.ca/>