[Histonet] Re: Special Stain Storage

Woodward, Denise denise.woodward <@t> uconn.edu
Mon Jul 26 14:50:25 CDT 2010

Hi All,
In Charles J Churukian's  "Manual of the Special Stains Laboratory of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY"  pg 192, he suggests "the following chemicals should be kept refrigerated":  all buffer solutions, hydroquinone, Phosphomolybdic acid, Phosphotungstic acid, Protargol, silver nitrate and all solutions containing silver nitrate.   This information is under the section labeled "Stability of Special Staining Solutions - General  guidelines Concerning Solutions."

Everywhere I have ever worked, we also kept the Schiff's reagent refrigerated for longer shelf life.

Regards,
Denise Long Woodward, MS, HT (ASCP) HTL,  QIHC
University of Connecticut

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of kristen arvidson
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 12:08 PM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Special Stain Storage

Hello All,
We were recently inspected by CLIA and our inspector noticed that we didn't have reagent storage temperatures written in our Special Stains procedures.? We do our stains by hand so we do have some stored in the refrigerator and others stored at room temp.? I went through some of the Histo books and I cannot find any specifics on storage of reagents.? Any suggestions??
?
Thanks!!
Kristen