[Histonet] artifacts of sectioning

Matt Brooks mbrooks <@t> incytepathology.com
Fri Jul 23 11:20:34 CDT 2010

What I have used in the past is a short warm water soak, 10-15 seconds,
in the water bath, after facing in and between sections, then placing
the block back on ice. I would use a small 200 mL beaker filled with DI
water sitting inside the water, it helps reduce junk floating the bath.
Be careful to avoid over soaking.

Matt Brooks, BS, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
InCyte Pathology
mbrooks <@t> incytepathology.com
509-892-2744

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tench,
Bill
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 9:10 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] artifacts of sectioning

It sounds like what you are describing is what we call "chatter."  it
seems to occur most frequently with GI biopsies, esp colon polyps and
usually in the abnormal epithelium.  My techs tell me that cooling the
block better on the ice block makes it go away.  i have no personal
experience, other than to say that when it occurs, it makes the slide of
very poor quality.

Bill Tench
Associate Dir. Laboratory Services
Chief, Cytology Services
Palomar Medical Center
555 E. Valley Parkway
Escondido, California  92025
Bill.Tench <@t> pph.org
Voice: 760- 739-3037
Fax: 760-739-2604

[None] made the following annotations
recipient(s)
 and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
unauthorized
 review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
the
 intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all
 copies of the original message.

This message has been content scanned by the Axway MailGate.
MailGate uses policy enforcement to scan for known viruses, spam,
undesirable content and malicious code. For more information on Axway
products please visit www.axway.com.