[Histonet] vanGieson-Trichrome staining protocol

Rena Fail renafail <@t> bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 19 12:47:25 CDT 2010

Are you perhaps refering to the Verhoff's Van Gieson, if you are trying to stain
elastic then  a trichrome it can be done.

The silver should be cloudy like a slightly dirty window , not milky  generally
if you add enough ammonia to the silver and sodium hydroxide mixture to render
it completely clear then you will probably have added too much ammonia.

Rena Fail

----- Original Message ----
From: "Doughty, Adele" <adoughty <@t> lrri.org>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Mon, July 19, 2010 10:29:19 AM
Subject: [Histonet] vanGieson-Trichrome staining protocol

Is there anyone out there that has done these two stains together? If
so, I need assistance with a protocol. Also I am doing a reticulum stain
and I am having a time with the ammoniacal silver solution, I can get
the solution clear but when it comes to the cloudy do they mean milky
cloudy? Thank you Adele