[Histonet] Resin embedded tissue

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 07:17:59 CDT 2010

Valerie,

I use just regular glass slides, coat them with Haupt's adhesive, roll the sections flat and then press and dry the sections to the coated slide using a slide press and oven at 50C. In 13 years of hard tissue resin histology, I have never (knocking twice on wood) lost a section or had a section lift up in any area during staining using this method. You will get a degree of background with certain stains (hematoxylin, analine blue, etc) because it is a gelatin based adhesive, but these problems are easily resolved with a little overstaining and acid alcohol rinse.

If interested you can get the Haupt's and slide press from Dorn and Hart Microedge (www.dornandhart.com). I have also been told that they have a couple of new kits coming out by the end of the summer - a resin embedding kit (using Perkadox as a catalyst) and thin section microtomy kit (one for a rotary microtome and one for a sledge or Polycut microtome) that includes everything needed to section resin blocks. Look them up and contact Bill Hart for more information.

Jack