[Histonet] Reprocess

histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com
Thu Jul 8 08:02:22 CDT 2010

What Tony suggests is similar to what we do for reprocessing.  If we have a
block that we embedded and attempted to section, only to discover that it's
not fixed well enough, we do the following:

1) print a new processing cassette
2) using a "dull" knife (we have an old, dull steak knife), run the blade
between the edge of the block and the cassette and "shave" the embedded
tissue off the cassette.
3) take the wax/tissue, place in the new cassette and process.

No need to melt it down or run it back down from xylene to formalin.  The
moist tissue is already exposed and seems to re-process just fine.

Your mileage may vary!

Michelle

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tony Henwood
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:48 PM
To: sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Reprocess

You do not need to rehydrate the blocks back to water,

While the tissue is still hot (ie the wax is still molten) blot the tissue
dry, place it back in its cassette and place the cassette in 10% formalin
for reprocessing. This procedure dramatically improves the results in at
least 90% of cases. The excellent results are probably due to the protective
nature of the wax present in the adequately processed portions of the block.
This insulates the tissue from the harmful effects of ethanol on the
adequately processed portions of the tissue preventing the tissue from
becoming hard and brittle (Johnson 2003).

Johnson (2003) Histologic 36(1):21-22.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC) Laboratory Manager &
Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA