[Histonet] RE: Has anyone used a biotin block in their antibody diluent?

Mauger, Joanne MAUGER <@t> email.chop.edu
Wed Jul 7 06:32:52 CDT 2010

Jennifer,
Vector has an avidin-biotin blocking kit that works well by itself or mixed with reagents- very reasonable cost.
Jo

Joanne Mauger HT(ASCP)QIHC
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer Campbell [jcampbell <@t> vdxpathology.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 10:11 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Has anyone used a biotin block in their antibody diluent?

Hi All,

 Has anyone ever used a Biotin block in their primary anitbody diluent?  I have been having problems with nonspecific staining, which I suspect is due to endogenous biotin.  I plan on decreasing my antigen retrieval time, as someone has told me that an antigen retrieval that is too vigorous may cause the unmasking of biotin, and its subsequent staining. I would like to know if anyone has had any luck using a biotin block in their diluent because I may try that as well.

Thanks,

Jennifer Campbell