SPAM-LOW: RE: [Histonet] Canine bone sectioning trouble

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Jul 4 11:50:17 CDT 2010

Oh my, I agree with Liz, your samples are way too thick and your process is
way too short.  Even for 3-4mm thickness bone I fix for 24-72 hours and then
decal in 5% formic acid usually overnight on a platform shaker.  I assume
RDO decals a lot faster but not that fast, I do not use RDO because I think
the formic acid which may be slower better preserves the antigens for IHC.

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech
12635 Montview Blvd. Ste.215
Aurora, CO 80045
720-859-4060
fax 720-859-4110
www.ihctech.net
www.ihcrg.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Liz Chlipala
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:36 PM
To: Schneider,Lynda S; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: SPAM-LOW: RE: [Histonet] Canine bone sectioning trouble

Overall your fixation, decalcification and processing cycle is too
short.  The sample size is really big, why do you need it so thick?  I
would first of all let the samples fix longer 24 to 48 hours or I would
trim them so that they are about 3-5 mm in thickness. Either way I like
fixing bone samples for 24 to 48 hours.  I'm not that accustomed to
using RDO decal it is hydrochloric acid based and is quicker but even
bone that size would take a while to decal.  We normally use a formic
acid based decal and a sample size that large my take up to 2 weeks to
decal.  Also to process a sample that size I would be at 4 to 6 hours a
station.  We frequently process porcine and goat knees in 2 x 3 blocks
the samples are quite thick about a cm in thickness and we will process
them at 4 to 6 hours a station.

My recommendation would be to decal the larger cube of bone for a period
of time until you can section through it.  I would then cut a 3-4 mm
thick piece off the cube and process it at 1 hour per station.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592