[Histonet] RE: [IHCRG] Hamamatsu Nanozoomer

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Jan 27 11:08:55 CST 2010

Kim

We have an Aperio Scanner.  I'm not quite sure what you are asking but this is what I think from your e-mail.  Aperio scans create .svs files these files are considered a modified tiff file.  When aperio scans the file is placed into the spectrum database - from there you can create case or project files, etc.  These images can be viewed via imagescope.  There is no issue with placing other images that have not been generated on the scanscope into the spectrum database, you can upload any image into the spectrum database we have done this in the past.  These images can also be viewed with imagescope we have only uploaded single magnification tiff files into the aperio spectrum database.  The Hamamatsu Nanozoomer I believe also comes with a database and some viewing sofware.  Are you asking if you can view the HN images in the spectrum database?  To be honest I'm not sure if you can view the images completed with image scope I would ask your sales rep.  I'm sure you are aware that both of these scanners essentially create virtual slides.  Not just an image of a slide at one magnification.  The viewing software allows you to view the images at different magnifications. I'm not that familar with Visiomorph its the Olympus product and doesn't Olympus sell the HN scanner?  I would also think that that the database that comes with the HN scanner should be able to accept other images and should have some conferencing capabilities, I know that the aperio does.  I'm not sure if I answered your questions, but I would ask the sales reps from both aperio and Olympus about compatability.  With repects to analysis I think that the Visiomorph software will be able to analyze a image generated from the scanscope.  If you are working with an HN scanner and the visiomorph software I'm assuming that you will be able to perform batch analysis on selected images from the olympus database.  You have to find out if you can run batch analysis out of either of the databases with the Visiomorph software - if you have lots of slides to analyze then setting them up one at a time is too labor intensive.  You can call me if you want to, I'm at a conference but will be back in the lab tomorrow  (303) 682-3949

Liz

________________________________

From: ihcrg <@t> googlegroups.com on behalf of Kim Merriam
Sent: Wed 1/27/2010 8:16 AM
To: Histonet; ihcrg <@t> googlegroups.com
Subject: [IHCRG] Hamamatsu Nanozoomer

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you folks had experience with the Hamamatsu Nanozoomer slide scanner.  We recently learned about it and are considering getting one instead of an Aperio slide scanner.  We plan to use Visiomorph image analysis software, so all we really need is the scanner and not all of the fancy software that these companies sell to go with their instruments.

The other labs at my company have Aperio systems and the images from the Nanozoomer would need to compatible or made to be compatabile for this to be a viable option for us (for cross-site slide conferencing purposes).  We are interested in it because this instrument can be adapted for fluorescence (with Aperio, you need to purchase 2 separate instruments; one for light microscope and one for fluorescence).

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Cambridge, MA