[Histonet] Re: Diff-Quik

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Wed Jan 27 10:09:20 CST 2010

Give it a rest!  Dr. Richmond 'sort of apologized' for his comments. He
does explain his views and why he stated them. That should be the end of
it!

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:53 AM
To: Robert Richmond
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu;
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Re: Diff-Quik

I'm going to have to agree with Cheryl on the comment. This may be your
experience but I can tell you my techs always look at their stains
before
they send it on to the Pathologist. It is a requirement that they
understand what they are looking at in order to know if it worked. Each
of
them are also trained to know all tissues microscopically and all stain
components microscopically. That is after all the purpose of being a
Histologist.

I am going out on a limb here and I normally don't, but you are digging
yourself in to a rather rude hole to insult so many professional
Histologist.

Just saying.............

Kim Donadio
Pathology Supervisor
Baptist Hospital
1000 W Moreno St.
Pensacola FL 32501
Phone (850) 469-7718
Fax (850) 434-4996

Robert Richmond <rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
01/26/2010 07:38 PM

"histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] Re: Diff-Quik

I sort of apologize for this ill-natured comment, which long-term
readers of Histonet know I've made before.

I do locum tenens work, mostly in rather small pathology services - I've
worked in perhaps 60 of them in my life. Only rarely do I observe that a
histotech ever looks at a slide. I've just acquired a new client with
particularly difficult slides. The tech doesn't even have a microscope.

The more quality assurance paperwork I have to do, the worse the slides.

The lack of feedback from pathologist to technologist is a really
widespread and serious problem. Most pathologists are completely
unwilling to take the time to do it, and the usage has never established
itself. It would be much easier if we had double headed microscopes,
which seem to be prohibited in small pathology services.

Did Edwards Deming live in vain?

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Cheri Miller <cmiller <@t> physlab.com>
wrote:
> Every slide I stain, special stains, IHC or otherwise I check under
> the
scope...I have taught all my techs to do the same, other than batches of

 H&E and then we check the 1st slide in each rack. I know this to be a
common procedure with many histology professionals. The attitude can be
left in your lab please. Thank you