[Histonet] Simple dye for cornea and sclera.

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 10:24:58 CST 2010

IF you can get hold of it, a phase microscope will be the best solution.
You could also try to use "oblique" illumination by off-centering the condenser diaphragm.
René J.

--- On Tue, 1/26/10, Reno Genest <rgenest <@t> uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

From: Reno Genest <rgenest <@t> uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: [Histonet] Simple dye for cornea and sclera.
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 10:36 AM

Hello everyone,

I am trying to reconstruct the 3D geometry of the cornea and sclera of a chicken eye. I embedded and froze an eye using OCT and CO2 liquid withdrawal and sliced it using a microtome. I took pictures from the top of the eye (not the sections but what is left after slicing) using a digital camera. The problem is that the sclera and cornea are difficult to see.

Is there a dye I could use before taking a picture that can be applied in one step and do not require a lengthy protocol? I cannot afford to wash the eye with tap water because it is still frozen on the microtome. Also, is anyone aware of a dye that would permeate through the sclera and cornea so that I could just dip the eye in before slicing it?

Thank you.

Reno Genest
MSc. candidate
Mechanical engineering