[Histonet] Simple dye for cornea and sclera.

Reno Genest rgenest <@t> uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 26 09:36:14 CST 2010

Hello everyone,

I am trying to reconstruct the 3D geometry of the cornea and sclera of
a chicken eye. I embedded and froze an eye using OCT and CO2 liquid
withdrawal and sliced it using a microtome. I took pictures from the
top of the eye (not the sections but what is left after slicing) using
a digital camera. The problem is that the sclera and cornea are
difficult to see.

Is there a dye I could use before taking a picture that can be applied
in one step and do not require a lengthy protocol? I cannot afford to
wash the eye with tap water because it is still frozen on the
microtome. Also, is anyone aware of a dye that would permeate through
the sclera and cornea so that I could just dip the eye in before
slicing it?

Thank you.

Reno Genest
MSc. candidate