[Histonet] Re: Diff-Quik

Cheri Miller cmiller <@t> physlab.com
Tue Jan 26 08:03:32 CST 2010

Every slide I stain, special stains, IHC or otherwise I check under the scope...I have taught all my techs to do the same,  other than batches of  H&E and then we check the 1st slide in each rack. I know this to be a common procedure with many histology professionals. The attitude can be left in your lab please. Thank you

Cheryl Miller HT ASCP CM
Histology Supervisor
Physicians Laboratory Services
Omaha, NE. 402 731 4148

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Richmond
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 7:50 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Diff-Quik

Thanks, John Kiernan, for your explanation of Romanovsky stains.

"Diff-Quik" (please note the spelling) is the trademarked name of a
staining sequence consisting of a fixative, eosin (Diff-Quik I), and
an azure (Diff-Quik II), done in that order in three separate
containers.  I'm not sure who the trademark presently belongs to - it
seems to change with the phases of the Moon.

There are a number of generic equivalents, which in my personal
experience all work as well as trademark Diff-Quik. For most ordinary
pathology services, it isn't worthwhile to try to brew your own.

I don't think I've seen bone marrow stained with such a sequence.
Proper staining of bone marrows requires that the histotechnologist
examine the slides under a microscope, a practice too many find
abhorrent.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathoogist
Knoxville TN