[Histonet] Re: Diff-Quik

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:49:45 CST 2010

Thanks, John Kiernan, for your explanation of Romanovsky stains.

"Diff-Quik" (please note the spelling) is the trademarked name of a
staining sequence consisting of a fixative, eosin (Diff-Quik I), and
an azure (Diff-Quik II), done in that order in three separate
containers.  I'm not sure who the trademark presently belongs to - it
seems to change with the phases of the Moon.

There are a number of generic equivalents, which in my personal
experience all work as well as trademark Diff-Quik. For most ordinary
pathology services, it isn't worthwhile to try to brew your own.

I don't think I've seen bone marrow stained with such a sequence.
Proper staining of bone marrows requires that the histotechnologist
examine the slides under a microscope, a practice too many find
abhorrent.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathoogist
Knoxville TN