[Histonet] RE: Dispensing stains from gallon jugs

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Fri Jan 15 15:08:17 CST 2010

You wrote:

We have had continuing problems when pouring some stain reagents out of the
gallon jugs in which they are sold.  We have all ruined shoes and scrubs
from the splashing as the stain comes out of the bottle.

Not sure if you can find a spout adaptor.  The ones I have used never work
very well, still drip and are messy.  You did not say if you use a funnel to
help direct the reagent into the stain containers.  Be sure it is a liquid
funnel, one with tapered end as compared to a powder funnel (wide end for
introducing powders/solids to containers).  Liquid funnel should direct the
stain without extra splashing, and introduce the stain to the side of the
funnel..  You may want or might have a ring stand to hold the funnel.  Some
funnels have extra long ends.

Also, there is an old trick taught in chemistry labs - use a very large
serological pipette (25 or 50 ml size) and pour your stain so it flows down
the pipette.  Directing the flow into the container prevents splashing and
spills.    A plastic turkey baster found in any grocery store with a large
diameter tube (remove the bulb) will also do the job - then wash and reuse.

Gayle M. Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)

Bozeman MT