AW: [Histonet] Problems with MSB stain

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Wed Jan 13 10:58:18 CST 2010

Hi Steve,
I have noticed that the CAB-stain, which is also a trichrome-stain (like
Trichrome Gomori), shows a blue overall appearence after NBF-fixation alone.
After re-fixation in Bouin the staining shows normal red staining of
liverslides. Re-fixation is like "antigen-retrieval" and opens the right
binding sites for the dyes.
Did you re-fix your slides in Bouin? Is there a difference in fixation of
the specimen?

Gudrun Lang

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von
Stephen.Eyres <@t> sanofi-aventis.com
Gesendet: Dienstag, 12. Jänner 2010 17:05
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Problems with MSB stain

Hi,

I have just encountered a problem I have never seen before and would
welcome opinions as to the cause. I work in pharma R&D and had a request
to perform MSBs on some liver slides. The results varied within the run,
with a distinct difference in the overall colour of the  slides; some
appearing blue and others red. The person performing the staining is
experienced, and our neqas scores are good. When we investigated the
problem the only difference we could identify was that the bluer slides
were stained after  40 minutes drying after being cut, whereas the
redder slides were cut the day before. This suggests that maybe slides
were incompletely dried and that this affected the staining. Comments
please.

Cheers

Steve