[Histonet] Counterstain for fluorescent tissue

Adam . anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 11:41:38 CST 2010

Hi,

The most common counterstains for fluorescent work is the nuclear
counterstain DAPI, which fluoresces in the UV spectrum. If your
microparticles fluoresce in that wavelength, then you obviously can't use
that but there are a whole host of other nuclear counterstains that
fluoresce in pretty much any part of the spectrum you want (see
http://www.cbit.uchc.edu/microscopy_facility/fluorescent_probes.html for the
most common). Various companies sell antifade mounting media with DAPI
included, which is really easy to use. You section your tissue, add the
mounting media right on top of the section, coverslip, and then seal with a
sealant (usually run-of-the-mill nailpolish).

Now here's the problem. Nuclear counterstains stain nuclei really well, but
unlike hematoxylin, you often can't see the cell boundaries that well.
Sometimes you're lucky in that your tissue is a bit autofluorescent and you
can see the cell boundaries that way, and sometimes you can do fancy
microscope and optical tricks such as differential interference contrast
(DIC). If neither of these work, people use antibodies to highlight some
really abundant protein in your tissue such as cytoskeletal proteins.

For your work, there might even be a simpler solution. If your
microparticles survive hematoxylin staining, you can often just take a
bright field photograph with the blue counterstaining, switch on the
fluorescent filters, take photographs of that, and then merge them together
using image processing software such as Photoshop.

Adam