[Histonet] Superfrost plus gold slides

Sherwood, Margaret MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Jan 5 09:51:21 CST 2010

We are staining 5um FFPE sections of laser-treated human cartilage and are
experiencing sections falling off the slides and, if not, then wrinkling.  (We
even had this problem with untreated cartilage, but it is worse with
laser-treated).

I know this topic has been discussed before and went to the Histonet archives,
but did not get a clear answer to my query.  Most of the discussion re:
superfrost plus gold slides involved frozen sections, but I did not get a clear
answer re:  paraffin-embedded sections.

We are currently using superfrost plus slides.  I have been looking in the
literature re:  coated slides, but it is confusing.  What do most histonetters
recommend?  (i.e. poly-l-lysine, gelatin, or silane coated
Slides).  Do you recommend superfrost plus gold slides?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Peggy

Peggy Sherwood
Lab Associate, Photopathology
Wellman Center for Photomedicine (EDW 214)
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02114-2696
617-724-4839 (voice mail)