[Histonet] Snap Freezing Tissue

Andrea T. Hooper andreahooper <@t> rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 25 08:38:43 CST 2010

I like this method too, and I would say it's one of the best. The only issue is high throughput. When freezing 100+ samples the floating tray becomes much more user friendly and believe it or not, the results are just as good.

--- On Wed, 2/24/10, Adam . <anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

From: Adam . <anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Snap Freezing Tissue
To: "Andrea T. Hooper" <andreahooper <@t> rocketmail.com>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu, "Laurie Colbert" <laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com>, "Steve Pike" <stevep <@t> mikronet.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 10:31 PM

I learned to freeze tissue by taking a beaker and filling it with 2-methylbutane and then placing that beaker in a liquid nitrogen bath. You then take place your cryomold, hold it using some long forceps, and place it on the top of the 2-methylbutane. It will freeze the entire thing in about 10 seconds. Once it's frozen, you dip the entire mold into the 2-methylbutane. Seems to work well for me.

Adam