[Histonet] Ultralight. Also bigger issues

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 16:11:48 CST 2010

John, you are SO RIGHT!
René J.

--- On Tue, 2/16/10, John Kiernan <jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca> wrote:

From: John Kiernan <jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Ultralight. Also bigger issues
To: "Beth Millerman" <beth.millerman <@t> stiefel.com>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 5:00 PM

If you don't know what the fixative is, can you justify using it for diagnosis? What will you say when the coroner asks you, "How did you choose which fixative to use?" Will you say "A salesman told me it was better than NBF" or will you say "I used it because our lab has a few books and we checked out the relevant references, discussed the issues and made a decision."?

The web site http://www.psl-equip.com/ultralight.php mentions two fixatives: "UL Formalin Fixative" and "UL Zinc Formalin Fixative", with no mention of ingredients other than formaldehyde. They don't even say whether the "formalin fixative" is aqueous, neutral, buffered, alcoholic, etc.

Four coloured micrographs illustrate the page. They are pleasing to the eye, but their labels will not inspire confidence in any potential customers who have looked down a microscope and seen smooth muscle (which never has cross-striations), one or more oocytes ("human ova"), or axons in the cerebellar cortex (which are beautiful to behold but cannot be seen at all with H&E).

The text alongside the photos insults the intelligence of anyone who might buy for a clinical or research lab. Example: "UltraLight HistologyTM Pristine Artifact Preventer. This is an additive for hematoxylin and eosin stains, which enhances color and extends shelf life up to two months ($$$ saving!!). This product is made to thermodynamically mop up excess formaldehyde (which can induce artifacts which destroy detail) and will improve staining." This is the language of the snake oil salesman.

John Kiernan
Professor, Dept of Anatomy & Cell Biology
University of Western Ontario
London, Canada