[Histonet] Alternatives to BioQuant for Bone Histomorphometry

Kathleen Jones Kjones <@t> upei.ca
Mon Feb 8 06:21:46 CST 2010

Hi Adam

Have you checked out ImageJ? It's a free downloadable program that I
have used for alveolar morphometry. Fairly user friendly, more so than
BioQuant, although not quite as thorough.

Good Luck
Kathy

Kathleen Jones
Research Technician
Pathology/Microbiology
AVC - UPEI
(902)566-0595

>>> "Adam ." <anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com> 2/5/2010 6:38 PM >>>
Hi all,

I am looking for an alternative program to BioQuant for bone
histomorphometry. We need to quantify the number of osteoblasts /
osteoclasts per bone surface area as well as the percent surface area
occupied by those cells. We have a computer with BioQuant on it
available,
but we find the software to be incredibly clunky and often nearly
impossible
to use. Based on my limited attempts to use it, it very well might rank
as
one of the worst user interfaces I've ever seen, and I was trained in
computer science and have seen my fair share of horrible software (I'm
looking at you, Lotus Notes).

Anyhow, any suggestions on a (preferably cheap / free) replacement for
doing
simple analysis or how to make BioQuant less painful would be very
helpful.

Thanks,
Adam