[Histonet] in office path labs

Norm Burnham Norm.Burnham <@t> propath.com
Fri Feb 5 13:01:21 CST 2010

Tim,

Interesting -- please enlighten us as to what the minimum acceptable
accreditation requirement you have established for your lab facilities?  CAP,
CLIA, COLA, or are you taking advantage of the in-office exemption from such
standards?

____________________________________
Norm Burnham, MBA, MT(ASCP), CLS
Director of Anatomic Laboratory Operations
ProPath - The Leader in Pathology Services
8267 Elmbrook Drive, Suite 100
Dallas, TX 75247
214.237.1602 Office
214.237.1802 Fax
214.709.7127 Cell
Email: norm.burnham <@t> propath.com
To learn more about ProPath, please visit www.ProPath.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Timothy Jay
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 12:17 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] in office path labs

I completely understand where everyone is coming from on this issue. I was
not trying to solicit work as there have been numerous inquires on the
listserve about setting up an in-office path lab. I am sorry I offended you.
I will not get into an unnecessary and unprofessional debate in this forum
but I will state that although the in-office path labs are not popular
amongst the pathology profession they are here and will continue to
proliferate until the government states otherwise. Having said that, I can
honestly say that I will only work w/ physicians that are committed to
quality and safety. The labs are carefully and thoughtfully planned in terms
of plumbing, electrical, and venting. I hire only  experienced and licensed
histotechs, pay a great wage, and the labs I build are typically much larger
than what most techs are used to working in, plus my labs are all either on
the first or second floors of building and all have windows. They are not pod
 labs. Lastly, the equipment I purchase for these labs is of great quality
from national vendors (e.g. Leica, Sakura, ThermoFisher, etc). In terms of
pathologists I partner with local pathologists and patholgists from large
reference labs (e.g. Caris, GI Pathology, etc). I'm sorry that there is a lot
of animosity towards those building these labs and I'm sure it makes no
difference to you but I take great pride in what I do and will not compromise
quality or safety to earn a buck. Thank you for your time and I wish everone
well.

Tim