[Histonet] Bone Marrow clot

Lynette Pavelich lpaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Thu Feb 4 14:18:46 CST 2010

One of our physicians also uses this method of heparin when obtaining
their BM's.
To help it clot, we make up a solution of formaldehyde and methanol.
Using the same syringe, pull some of the formal methanol into the
syringe and let it sit.....say 10 minutes to give it time to clot. Then,
take the plunger out of the syringe and spin it down in the centrifuge
to compact the specimen.  It usually turns out to be a larger specimen
than the usual clot, but the method works well.  The pathologists' don't
have any problems with this method either. (yea!)  Below is the solution
of formal methanol that we use.

1 part 37% formaldehyde
9 parts 100% methanol

hope this helps!