[Histonet] RE: CPT code 88313 on non-gynecological cases

Daniel Schneider dlschneider <@t> gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:19:10 CST 2010

Can you cite some authority or reference on this?  I'm very interested in
the answer.

This issue came up a year or so ago in our practice.  It was determined that
we couldn't charge extra for the Diff-Quik, but I'm not sure I understood
why not.  I was trained  to interpret all thyroid FNA's with both the usual
Pap stain, as well as a DQ, so it's not at all a trivial number of cases.
My colleagues seemed OK with interpreting them with Pap stain only, since
we'd have to eat the cost on the DQ.  Or do we?  If we can bill 88313 for
the DQ on thyroid FNA's, then we will probably go back to doing it.

Dan Schneider