[Histonet] Tape/Film Coverslips vs. Glass

Rosa Fields rfields <@t> gidocs.net
Thu Feb 4 09:18:54 CST 2010

The tape cover slippers are quicker, easier to manage the slides, but the cover slips pop off over time; the glass cover slippers are a bit temperamental; the slides take longer to dry, and the quality is better, and the cover slip stays on.

Rosa Fields, HT (ASCP)
Gastroenterology Specialties
Histology Supervisor
4545 R Street
Lincoln, NE  68503
402-465-4545
rfields <@t> gidocs.net

The information contained in the message and the documents accompanying this message contain information that is privileged and confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, other than its return to the sender, is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Percival Karen
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:15 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Cathy.Crumpton <@t> tuality.org; Pyse Cynthia
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Tape/Film Coverslips vs. Glass

I've used both over the years, and I love the tape coverslippers.  The slides dry very quickly because there is no mounting media step.  The tape sticks to the slide via a chemical reaction between the xylene and the tape.  One thing to remember with tape, you cannot use recycled xylene as your last xylene step before coverslipping.  If I remember correctly, you cannot use xylene substitutes either.  It's been a while, so that may have changed.

The tape coverslips are easily removed with acetone.

The pathologists loved it because they received their slides immediately.  We didn't have to allow drying time before handing them in.

I didn't find any tissue fading over time, either.

Just my opinion.  Good luck.

>>> "Cynthia Pyse" <cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com> 2/3/2010 9:21 AM >>>

Cathy
I prefer the glass coverslips. It seems to give more protection to the
tissue. Recoverslipping is also easier than with the tape. Just my opinion.
Hope this helps.

Cindy Pyse, CLT, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
X-Cell Laboratories