[Histonet] bouin solution

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 28 19:18:03 CST 2010

If the tissue is in Bouins, the excess Bouins needs to be washed out of the
tissue immediately after fixation.

Water could be used to rinse out the excess picric acid, but I think some
people are worried that there could be some cell swelling if the tissue is
left in the water too long (particularly if the tissue is underfixed/not
stablized enough).

If I remember correctly, too high of a percent of alcohol (95%, for
example), will cause the picric acid salts to precipitate in the tissue, and
it would be like trying to microtome tissue with sand in it.

So 50-70% alcohol is a good compromise. Have enough water to remove the
excess picric acid salts, but not too much water to cause tissue swelling,
and not too much percent of alcohol to cause picric acid salts to
precipitate in the tissue.

For your slides already microtomed and on slides - these have already been
fixed and processed. If the tissue was fixed in a picric acid fixative like
Bouins, there is no need for the step of putting the slide in Bouins. If the
tissue was fixed in something else (10% neutral buffered formalin, for
example), then the slide/tissue needs to be placed into Bouins in order for
the trichrome stains to work correctly. This is called either post-fixing or
post-mordanting. There are several theories as to why the Bouins is needed
for the trichromes (change tissue charges, change tissue density), but the
end result is that Bouins fixed or Bouins post-mordanted tissue have muscles
that are red and collagen that are blue or green (depending upon which dye
you use). If the NBF fixed tissue is not post-mordanted, the red is a
red/blue or red/green, and the collagen has strands of red in it. In other
words, the colors are not as true or as crisp.

Now, the slides that were post-mordanted in Bouins have tissue that is
yellow. We need to get the yellow out. Not so much because of the picrate
salts that precipitate, but more because the yellow color would interfere
with the reds and the blues or greens colors that you are trying to make.

The tissue is only 3-5 um thick, so it won't take as long to remove the
color. And the tissue has been well fixed, dehydrated and cleared during
tissue processing. So there are lots of cross-links to stabilize the tissue.
So rinsing in water is only going to take a few minutes, and the tissue is
stabilized, so there shouldn't be any cell size changes. You could rinse in
50-70% alcohol, but that's only 50-30% water, so it is going to take a lot
longer to get rid of the yellow color than rinsing in water.

Rinsing in tap water is fine for most labs, as long as the quality of tap
water is good (not too acidic or basic, not too much iron or sulfur, no
microorganisms). I like to rinse with d. water before any stain, just in
case there is any contaminating metal that might interfere with the stains
(we have a lot of iron in our part of the state).

By the way, putting the slides in Bouins in a coplin jar with a lid screwed
on, then putting in a 60 degree C. oven or water bath for 45-60 minutes
works great. This would reduce your turn around time by 17 hours! Two words
of caution. 1) Don't breath in the hot Bouins fumes (picric acid, acetic
acid, formaldehyde). Open up the coplin jar in a hood. 2) Don't stick the
hot coplin jar into cold running water. Coplin jar will break/crack. We
usually take the slides out of the hot Bouins, and put the slides into a new
coplin jar with water, then put this under the running water. The lid is put
back on the Bouins coplin jar, and allowed to cool. Some places reuse the
Bouins for a number of times.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073